Added 8 April 2021
Site Reliability Engineer
We’re on the lookout for a passionate and enthusiastic Site Reliability Engineer to join companies digital team at a key moment in our evolution as a travel and technology company. This is an exciting role with a fantastic team at an exciting time, and we want you to be a part of it!
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be at the forefront of our cloud-native transformation.
The day-to-day is using code, new tools, and better processes to implement operational improvements large and small across the availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, incident response, and capacity planning of our digital footprint.
The long-term is creating a hyper-scalable and efficient digital platform, and bringing the whole company on the journey towards continuous integration.
About the Job:
You will report directly to the Chief Digital Officer and work closely with the entire, 23-person Digital team. This role is not part of a larger SRE team; you are the team! And because of this, you have the opportunity to set the standard for how we do cloud from now on. You will be a critical member of the company with big aspirations for the future and the drive to make them a reality.
We offer a fun and flexible working environment, and this role will give you the opportunity to build an SRE practice from scratch alongside a team of supportive and talented software engineers, testers, and systems analysts who have been busy transforming a traditional web stack to a cloud native platform. The company operates as agile from the top down, with a mix of Scrum-style cross functional project work and Kanban-style operational processes… we have the right flow and we are building the tech to match!
Key responsibilities include:
- Own the transformation of the company to one of continuous integration, configuration-as-code and “cattle, not pets”
- Operate and maintain our AWS-based cloud footprint through APM and infrastructure monitoring, and support the continuous availability of our systems
- Ensure that platform capacity and performance meets service level objectives
- Proactively identify toil in our software development lifecycle and design/implement automation to improve reliability, reduce lead time, and increase software quality
- Partner with development teams to ensure the company is building software that runs (and scales) cloud-natively, including input on build, testing, and deployment pipelines
- Participate in system design consulting, platform management, and capacity planning
- Participate in on-call support for the cloud platform alongside other digital tech leads
- Work with the CDO to define and then build systems to measure metrics that gauge our progress on optimising performance
- Participate in cross-functional agile teams to achieve specific company goals, as a team member rather than a particular SRE role
You come from a cloud-native tech company or an enterprise that’s recently moved in a cloud-first direction. You’ve worked with some great people and built up a good comfort level with the platform and are ready to take ownership of a company’s cloud tooling. Maybe you’ve even built an enterprise-scale cloud environment from scratch already. You are not afraid to recommend fresh ideas and ask the hard questions. You’re ready for a fast-paced start up environment that has its sights set on growth.
- 3-5 years of experience with infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) cloud stacks, AWS preferred
- Experience with GitOps-style CI/CD deployment patterns in a production environment
- Experience in cloud provisioning code development and tools (Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience with Linux server lifecycle on public cloud (working from images/containers, patching, networking/security, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of networking (DNS, load balancing, network security, CDN, etc.)
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, and performance bottlenecks
- An agile, collaborative mindset
- AWS cloud practitioner certification
- Experience with virtualisation and containerisation technologies, specifically Kubernetes
- Coding experience beyond simple scripts
- Deep understanding of Linux OS server management, including bash scripting
- Understanding of database architectures and applying these in a cloud-native environment
- Experience with change management/pivots in a start-up environment
To apply for this vacancy you MUST be a New Zealand citizen, resident, or have already secured the right to work in New Zealand and therefore hold a valid visa.
At Tribe we have our guiding light to show us the way. We bring our whole selves to work. We encourage inclusion in every single interaction. We genuinely care about people, and are curious about their stories. We celebrate all points of view. We will help you find your tribe, the same way we have. We’re all on a journey together so come along…
Something went wrong, please try again later, or apply by contacting Knowledge@tribegroup.com